Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Chicken Chow Mein

Okay, so I think this is the most ask for recipe that I make, so I thought I would start with this one. I love Asian food and eventually I will learn how to make Pad Thai and Sushi (cause I am spending a mini fortune on it), but for now I have this really tasty Chicken Chow Mein recipe that I found in a kid's cookbook called "DK Children's Quick and Easy Cookbook" by Angela Wilkes.

The thing I like the most about this recipe is that it makes four servings and since I am usually just cooking for my husband and I, there are leftovers. With these leftovers I can bring a tasty lunch to work the next day. Just pop it in the microwave and everyone at work gets jealous. :P

Chicken Chow Mein
For noodles:
8 oz. Dried egg noodles
1 teaspoon oil
For Stir-fry:
2 Carrots
1/4 lb Thin Green Beans
1/4 lb Snow Peas
4 Scallions
1 in Fresh piece of Ginger
1 Clove Garlic
2 Tablespoons oil
2 Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 Lemon
(I also added Cashews, Red peppers, and sometimes teriyaki sauce if I have any)

Directions:
1. Half-fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil. Add the noodles and boil them for the amount of minutes it says on the box.
2. Drain the noodles in a colander. Return to pan and mix oil.
3. Peel the carrots and cut into think sticks. Trim the beans and snow peas. Slice the Scallions.
4. Peel the ginger and grate. Peel the garlic and chop finely.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan. Cut chicken into strips and stir-fry them until golden. (I actually cooked it on a George Forman grill to cut out some of the fat and same save some time).
6. Put the garlic, ginger, carrots, and beans (cashews and red peppers) in the frying pan and stir-fry them for 4-5 minutes. Make sure to stir them constantly.
7. Add the chicken, snow peas, scallions, and noodles. Mix it and cook it for a few more minutes.
8. Add the soy sauce, the juiced lemon, and salt if you'd like. Mix once more. Cook for 2 more minutes to heat through.
9. Enjoy!

If you are going for meatless you can add some other types of veggies and/or tofu. Also for anyone wondering about the noodles I use. The Annie Chun's are my personal favorite to use (I swear this isn't an ad, lol). I hope you will try this recipe out and let me know what you think of it. Thanks for reading!






2 comments: